Friday, September 7, 2007

The Lost Star Wars Masterpiece

I checked on Netflix.

They have Stars Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. They have The Empire Strikes Back. They have Return of the Jedi. They have the original and special edition releases of all three movies.

They have Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. They have The Clone Wars. They have Revenge of the Sith.

They have the Clone Wars series. They have Ewok Adventures. They have Star Wars Animated Adventures: Ewoks. They have Star Wars Animated Adventures: Droids.

But they do not have The Star Wars Christmas Special.

Completely out of nowhere, I have a weird, semi-desperate desire to see this. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. I remember it being odd. But Star Wars -- and the concurrent Christmas Special -- came out when I was a really little kid. When you're that young, your idea of reality hasn't quite calcified enough to accept or deny anything. Since the Muppets also had a Christmas special, the Star Wars Christmas Special seemed entirely appropriate at the time.

I'm sure this kinda thing is lying around all over the place at Gen Con. But I didn't go.

I shall find it. And I shall watch it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you settle for the better part of the special?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtPmPDrWjY

Brian "B-Boy" Thomas said...

dude.. trust me you do not want to watch it.. i do have a copy of this on video.. wish i knew how to convert it to a dvd or mpeg.. dont feel like spending the cash for that equiptment. all i can say about the special on this tape is that they have the commercials from that era.. wass my fav part of the whole tape lol.

Anonymous said...

It is like unto sweet sweet candy. Or forbidden fruit. Or something.

There's a Con in January that will have it. I'll buy it for you and you can reimbrse me. If you can wait that long...

Mike Kuciak said...

Malcolm: based on what I watched at the link Leonard found, I'd say... let's not have anybody spend money on this. It's exactly the kinda thing I want to watch once, file away in my brain and move on in life.

However, there's some interesting stuff here. I love that Boba Fett's the main antagonist. And he rides a dinosaur! I guess Slave-One was in the shop. And we get a lengthy dialogue scene between Boba and Luke. (Though Luke didn't seem to remember Boba when they saw each other in JEDI). His lines and voice are great. He reminded me of a character from a Western, like if Luke ran into Lee Van Cleef or somebody.

But then you get ludicrous bullshit like the talisman that turns things invisible, and gives humans a sleeping virus that can only be cured by hanging you upside-down.

This came out before EMPIRE, right? If so, that's pretty wild...

Anonymous said...

Whew... I'm glad to see that you regained (or came to) your senses about this one.

Mike Kuciak said...

I still wanna watch it. I found myself grotesquely intrigued by the little clip where the Empire officer gives the little kid wookie a hard time for playing with a "high-tech device" that looks like a Tandy tape recorder circa 1975.

Anonymous said...

Borrowed B-boy's in 1999.

Regretted that.

-Steve

Mike Kuciak said...

I think the main problem is all of you guys are watching this thing alone and sober.

I have a feeling a few beers, a 3-footer and a group of dudes would turn this thing around.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, Mike. I can sit and watch Heavy Metal alone or with people, sober or totally FUBAR'd. The result is the same... pure pleasure.

There's only so far a film can go in its badness before you have to come up with some callbacks in order to be able to find some enjoyment in the production. IE.... Rocky Horror.

Mike Kuciak said...

There's bad with potential for MST3K fun, and then there's just bad-bad.

For instance, I kept hearing ALONE IN THE DARK was delightfully awful. But it was actually just kinda dull.