Friday, September 21, 2007

George Miller's Gonna Direct Justice League

According to Variety, George Miller (Road-Motherfuckin'-Warrior) is gonna direct the film adaptation of the Justice League for Warner.

Anybody who knew me from my hardcore comic days knows I was always more of Marvel dude than a DC guy. I had some DC favorites: Doom Patrol, Suicide Squad and JLA. There are some issues of Justice League of America that are the most entertaining comics I've ever read. The boxing match with Guy Gardner and Blue Beetle? Classic.

But, one-by-one, that things that made those titles special fell away. JLA suddenly turned not-funny. (I think that issue was entitled "Art Attack," the goddamn piece of shit). Suicide Squad lost all of the characters I thought were interesting. The Vertigo titles drifted from "cutting edge" to "pretentious and boring."

Even the Marvel titles started going downhill. I gave less and less of a shit about what the X-Men were up to. But, for all the Marvel comics I followed, it was a DC title that ended me. When Grant Morrison left Doom Patrol, I just gave up and stopped collecting.

I've come back around. These days I pick up a graphic novel every once in a while. But no comics. After I read them, they just lie around. So... nah.

I was never really into the core DC canon. I knew guys who were CRAZY about Batman. I could almost see that... I never bought Batman comics, but like a lot of guys I'd score Arkham Asylum and Year One and all of that.

But otherwise, I never gave a shit about Superman outside of the Donner movies. Characters like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern just seemed like silly '60s-era holdovers compared to Wolverine.

However: when I was little, I fuckin' WORSHIPPED Challenge of the Super-Friends. I didn't get to see a lot of Saturday morning cartoons when I was a kid; I was always at CCD. The few episodes I caught just seemed like the coolest things in the world.

I tripped over an ep on Cartoon Network a couple of years ago. Most things you love from childhood don't age well. But I loved Challenge all over again, for different reasons. There is not a SINGLE dull moment in this show. It's non-stop story and action, to a completely ridiculous extent. It would be like taking a year's worth of comics and jamming all of that story into 22-minutes.

Every character is in massive jeopardy in every scene. The only exceptions are the opening scene (which sets up the action), and the last scene (when everyone laughs at Gleek 'cause he has a flower pot on his head).

Point being: I think Miller's one of our greatest living filmmakers. And, despite my mixed emotional reaction, you fuckin' KNOW I'm gonna be in the theater for a Justice League movie.

There's some crying in the article about how Christian Bale and Brandon Routh likely wouldn't appear to play Batman and Superman, respectively. That doesn't bother me at all. It's just like reading the same comic characters drawn by different artists. For instance, I've seen some artists totally get Wolverine and depict him as a cool, dangerous guy on the page. And I've read other comics where he looks like a dopey clown.

Not saying whoever Miller casts as Batman in Justice League will be a dopey clown. Just that different people playing the same character doesn't bother me at all. I mean, what the fuck? There have already been at least five live-action Batmans, and even more counting the voiceover guys. So who cares? Bale's a brilliant actor -- go check out Harsh Times if you think I'm wrong -- but he isn't necessary to see this movie happen.

Now let's hold our breaths in the hopes they get someone of Miller's level on Conan.

Who would you vote for?

No comments: