Monday, September 10, 2007

Frankenstein's Update

I cracked out the first 1,500 words of Frankenstein's Notebook yesterday.

True to my usual habit, I actually wrote a lot more, which I instantly hated and erased. Chapter one establishes the voice and tone of the whole novel. I had to hack at it for a while until I hit something I thought worked. But I could change my mind...

I had 28-pages of treatment written, and I still wasn't done with the whole story. I stopped writing. I erased about half of it. I decided to plunge into the novel with ten pages of structure. I didn't want to contrain the story. I just wanted a jumping-off point. I'm not worried about the second half going awry; after five years in this gig, I have story structure in my DNA.

I'm loosely targeting a polished 90,000-word mss by this time next year.

No comments: