Friday, September 14, 2007

It's Not Just Me Who Gets Attacked By Birds

A guy got attacked by an owl.

Some of you may recall I was menaced by a hawk a couple of years ago. If you don't, it's a long and bizarre story. The short version is: for a couple of days, every time I left the office a hawk would swoop down and strike my head. I started wearing a baseball cap, and it went away. I can only guess that, from its Hawkvision (TM) POV, the top of my head looked like a small animal it could carry away. Repeated failed attempts to kill and eat me didn't stop it from trying.

There were two epilogues to the story.

One: I came into the office that weekend to catch up on script reading, and it was sitting in the grass with two other hawks. I'm not exactly an ornithologist, but I'm pretty sure birds of prey don't usually sit in the grass. They saw me and flew away. I ran to the office, but they didn't hassle me.

Two: About a year later, I was struck again. But it was a one-time episode. It hasn't happened since. Or, I should say "lately." You never know, it's a crazy world.

Birds have eerie powers.

No comments: