Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Blatantly Shilling for Dropkick Murphys


The new Dropkick Murphys comes out today, The Meanest of Times.

I can't even begin to express how much I love this band. I love the early oi stuff. Is there any more perfect album than Do or Die? And I love the Celtic/Drovers-type direction they've taken since then.

If you're not familiar, their song "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" played about a thousand times in the course of The Departed, and was also the song playing during the commercials and trailers.

Here is their MySpace page, which cranks sweet DKM classics 24/7.

For a long time, Dead Kennedys were my all-time favorite punk rock band. I still have deep love, but they're not who I'm constantly listening to anymore. When I'm writing, it's DKM and Bad Religion a big percentage of the time. I was working on this DR rewrite Sunday afternoon. Tunes-wise, I just kept it simple and went through the whole Murphys library.

There isn't a single song on any album of theirs that I don't thoroughly enjoy. How many bands can you say that about?

Thus, this weekend I'm shipping up to Amoeba to pick up the new DKM.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You wouldn't be a fan of "Flogging Molly," would you?

Mike Kuciak said...

I dig Flogging Molly. I like the Drovers and Pogues and the Old 97s.

But DKM's a perfect storm of Celtic and oi. And I don't just love the music, I like what their songs -- and the band -- are all about.