Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I Was Just in My First Real Live California Earthquake

Luckily, it was no big deal... at least for me. It was a 5.8 that hit in Chino, so I'm sure they're in way more trouble.

The office is near a major street, so when I feel a rumble, it's because a big truck is going by. So I felt a rumble and ignored it at first. Then the entire building shifted back-and-forth. It was very mild, like a jello mold on a plate getting wiggled a bit. But still, it's like... damn, the building's fuckin' moving around, that can't be good.

It went away. Then another move came. It was lighter. But I thought: what if the next one isn't lighter? Time to split.

It was chillin' enough that I just kinda went downstairs and asked, "Anyone know how to survive an earthquake?" I went outside. I figured, if it got really bad, the chances of a tree falling on me were less than the building caving in.

Nothing happened, it was over. Not only did the trees not tip, no leaves fell.

I tried calling my family on my cell to let them know I wasn't dead, but the cell was out -- everyone in LA was calling each other. But I got through on the office phone.

This is actually my second earthquake. I felt a similar one back when I was going to SIU. That one was even weirder, because I had no prior experience to which I could compare.

And now a million fire trucks are going by...

3 comments:

Brian "B-Boy" Thomas said...

from what i remember you stand in a doorway since thats supposed to be the strongest place in the building.. you dont go outside, shit can fall on yer head or even the ground can open up and ya fall thru. i read that in china whne that had that bad quake, a outdoor tour had big ass bolders falling down and the ground opening up all around them.

Mike Kuciak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I thought about the whole cracks-in-the-ground thing, but I figured a door frame wouldn't protect me from that. If there's a crack under you, door frame or not, your ass is gonna get swallowed. So I went out to the courtyard and took my chances. There are big trees out there, but if they decided to topple I hoped I'd be able to duck outta the way with my spidey sense.