Tuesday, April 22, 2008

More DragonForce, and Italian Horror

Check out this video.

They're on mountains battling with guitars while an alien fleet destroys the planet.

Shit, man... HOW CAN THEY BE MORE COOL?!

One of the many reasons I dig metal is the over-the-top fantasy/sci-fi imagery. What's Iron Maiden without Eddie? Know what I mean? I can't get enough. I love this shit.

I've been cranking hard to wrap DEMON. And I've been keeping up a steady diet of devil music while I'm writing. Walk in the door, flick on the laptop, and toss in Best of Deicide. Followed by Slayer. Suicidal Tendencies. Marilyn Manson.

Total bliss.

For very similar reasons, I'm counting the seconds for Brutal Legend to come out on the 360. I'm excited about GTA IV, but Brutal Legend is the title that makes me all antsy and weird. Gimme the fucking game!

I watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford the other day. It's amazing, just absolutely brilliant cinema. Andrew Dominik wrote and directed this and Chopper, which fucking rules. This cat is walking with a big 2-and-0. I can't wait to see what he does next. The whole cast is great. Brad Pitt's phenomenal, and Casey Affleck's perfect -- his Bob Ford is a weird, empty, creepy dude you kinda hate and kinda feel sorry for, like a real-life Gollum. And Roger Deakins on photography. The man's up there with Darius Khondji in my book for pure brilliant brilliance. A caveat: Assassination is very measured and character-driven. It's not for everyone. If you thought The Unforgiven was boring, pass on Assassination and go watch Young Guns II. Again.

And I Netflixed Zombi 3, but it wouldn't play. Nothing is more heartbreaking than getting a movie from Netflix -- it's so close! it's in my HAND! -- and still not getting to watch it.

I was planning on writing a giallo-type slasher. I loaded up my Netflix with Italian horror. I've seen a lot, more than most. But these guys were fucking prolific, man... I haven't even scratched the surface of everything Bava, Fulci, Argento and gang put out there.

Last week, I decided against doing the slasher. I wanna get FRANK done. But I'm gonna keep the Italian horror in my queue. I love these movies. They're weird and amoral and lurid, kinda like what Hammer was doing in England. Yeah, the acting's terrible and nothing quite makes sense. But these aren't by-the-numbers horror pix -- they're nightmares put to screen, with all of the bizarre imagery and illogic that comes with that territory. They look a lot like the nightmares I have.

I've gotta catch up with some H'wood titles I let slip: the third Pirates, stuff like that. But right after, it's into the Argento. First up? Fuckin' Tenebre, homes. Then Deep Red, The Psychic and Two Evil Eyes.

Good times.

3 comments:

Brian "B-Boy" Thomas said...

I do cocaine guh guh guh yeah!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=729GDFhDBFE&feature=related


u gotta check out metalocalypse.. funny funny funny... dr rockso is my favorate rockin roll clown lol

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to come around to this show. The first couple of eps I saw, I was like... eh. I think my expectations were too high: an Adult Swim series about a death metal band should be the greatest thing I've ever seen ever, but when it was just "good" I got turned off. But the more I see, the more I dig. I'm gonna have to Netflix season one and catch up.

Brian "B-Boy" Thomas said...

omg yeah dude its really funny shit.. its like spinal tap as a death metal band.. its so over the top. what kills me too is mark hamill does a voice on that show too