Friday, April 25, 2008

The Hobbit

You're probably already heard about this, but I had to talk about it... according to this article in Variety, Guillermo del Toro is gonna direct The Hobbit.

Wowwie-wowwie-wow-wow-wow!!!

Del Toro and The Hobbit is cause for a worldwide geekgasm. That shit's on par with... I dunno, Evil Dead IV? A Zatoichi series on HBO directed by Takashi Miike? A Boba Fett stand-alone feature film directed by Peter Jackson?

The term "beloved childhood classic" has become this kinda hackneyed cliche. But man... if any book is a beloved childhood classic of mine, it's that one. I can easily say I read it over a dozen times when I was a kid. It still resonates with me.

And Del Toro is one of our strongest fantasy voices today. I've seen Pan's Labyrinth three times now, and it keeps holding up. What a brilliant movie. I'm not quite as crazy about Blade II and Hellboy as a lotta people are -- I'm more of a Devil's Backbone guy.

But, end of the day, I know he's gonna turn in an amazing movie. I can't wait to see what comes out the other end of this process.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOLY FREAKIN' SHIT!!!

That should be totally kick ass.

Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve said...

I'm all about this. Del Toro is the new Gilliam.

Brian "B-Boy" Thomas said...

im still kinda luke warm about Del Toro. Im not totaly apeshit over the stuff hes done tho it was good... this will be certain a big test for him.. lots of big sets and epic battles.. we shall see

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see Smaug. And the Battle of Five Armies should be pretty choice.