Monday, April 7, 2008

Ils

Last night, I watched Ils, which is apparently French for Them. It's creepy as fucking hell.

Seems like it was gigging around the fest circuit for a while. I read a bunch of great reviews in the online horror forums, but it wasn't available from Netflix until very recently. It hung around in my Save file for a loooooong time.

Boy, is it worth the wait. A good-looking French couple go to a big house in the Romanian countryside for a weekend of drinking wine and screwing. That night, someone starts fucking with them, and it goes from bad to worse. Based on a true story.

Nothing we haven't seen in different versions in other movies -- there are parts that reminded me of Martin, Black Christmas and Halloween. Ils doesn't reinvent the genre or anything. It's just a really solid, creepy, suspenseful horror-thriller that isn't a remake or sequel. The opening sequence is awesome.

The French have been really stepping up to the genre plate in the last several years. They don't have the Hollywood attention J-horror's gotten, but the French genre flicks I've seen have been consistently good. Though I've noticed all of the French pics are very grounded -- all slasher, no supernatural. It's the flipside of the Asians and their wall-to-wall ghost stories. It would be cool to flip the script and get a Japanese slasher, and a French ghost story.

4 comments:

Brian "B-Boy" Thomas said...

i thought at Them really had a huge carpenterish flavor to it, till ya started seeing the kids faces and the one kid talking. I was grinning the while flick.. totaly blew me away on how intense it was.. seriously my heart was beating fast when the shit hit the fan.. totaly awesome stuff

Adria Lang said...

I'll give YOU a French ghost story...

Anonymous said...

BRING IT.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celulite, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://eliminando-a-celulite.blogspot.com. A hug.