Wednesday, January 30, 2008

More Remakes

According to this article in Variety, the remakes of Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street are both moving forward.

I'm not upset, just curious. At this stage, remakes of classic horror titles are an inevitability. And it's not like we can sit around and pretend the sequels were all cinematic masterpieces. I think it's safe to say that Nightmare VI blew, for instance. Though I have a huge soft spot in my heart for New Nightmare.

Marcus Nispel is attached to direct Jason. I'm on the fence about the guy. I wasn't crazy about the TCM remake, though it coulda been a lot worse. I thought it looked good. But Pathfinder... lots of pretty pictures. But the entire movie seems bereft of any sense of drama or excitment, which is generally a detriment if you're making an action picture.

Thus, my prediction: Crystal Lake will look really spooky, but the movie itself will be just kinda vaguely dull.

If I were doing a remake of Friday, I'd throw a curveball and have both Jason and his mom stalking the teens, working together.

No comments: