Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Eastern Promises

Eastern Promises is one of the most amazing movies made by anybody, ever. I can't say enough about this picture... every element, every moment is pure genius bliss.

On the surface, this fits in the subgenre of London gangster movies. But that's like calling Goodfellas a crime thriller. Yeah, all that shit's there... plus a whole lot more.

Between this and A History of Violence, Cronenberg and Mortensen are the current Scorcese and DeNiro. I'm really hoping they round it out with a third title. Or ten.

How does Cronenberg just keep getting better? So many of the guys I worshipped back in the day have fallen by the wayside, jumped the shark, whatever you wanna call it.

But man... Cronenberg just fucking rules. More filmmakers should be getting their inspiration from this guy. He's one of a kind, always has been. Film schools should be teaching classes, studying his work. Give this man Oscars and money.

See Eastern Promises!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just like looking at Viggo's peepee.

Seriously, it was a very good film. I saw it with Liz and her mom in the theater. Her mom has an unhealthy Viggo obsession.

It reminded me of The Godfather, except I may have enjoyed E.P. more. Sacrilege, I know.

-Steve