Monday, October 15, 2007

Romero

Gotta keep this short. I'm busy as fuck, but I have to get this out there...

I went to go see DIARY OF THE DEAD on Friday. It has a great concept and the reviews have been positive.

With the deepest regret, I have to say this movie is 75% awful.

Romero's lost all sense of subtlety. Like all of his movies, he wants to get a theme across. In DIARY, he's not just banging a drum... he's banging a drum in front of bullhorn that's pointed at a microphone that's linked to System of a Down's amp set-up.

Worse yet, it didn't seem like he even knew what the fuck he was trying to relay. Okay, mainstream media is dishonest and bad, got it. But when the mainstream media goes off-line and it's just the "bloggers and hackers," he condemns that, too.

There's a terrible voice-over throughout that never shuts the fuck up, constantly banging your head against Romero's "theme."

The characters are the lowest cliches. The dialogue is excruciating. I was never scared. The only saving grace for me was the cool Amish guy who throws dynamite at zombies.

I could maybe blame my expectations. It's a brilliant idea for a horror movie. The reviews were solid. It's fucking ROMERO. But I don't think so... it's just a bad movie.

Even LAND, I watched and thought, "Eh, it's okay." When I rewatched it, I liked it a lot more. This one, I have no intention of wasting two hours on again.

I really, really, really, really wanted to love this movie. I didn't. It was painful to watch. And afterwards, the more I thought about the movie, the worse it seemed.

Dammit!

2 comments:

Brian "B-Boy" Thomas said...

well at least ya saw it. im still excited to see it someday. but this has lowered my expetations of the film. this could be a good thing. kinda liek a surprise on how i liked fantastic four. all ican remember was the corman ff and was expecting the same thing in the new ff and wasnt bad. thats how im goin to approach DOTD, expecting a shitty movie and may be surprised. im sure theres some good moments in it. well at least 25% lol.
how did yer contest go?

Mike Kuciak said...

DIARY gets 25% because, at the end of the day, even if it's awful it's still a zombie movie, which I inherently enjoy.

Re: HOUSE OF DOORS -- they're not announcing the finalists until their swanky dinner on Sunday. Don't think I'm gonna make it, they'll have to email me.