Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Power of Lard Compels You

The other day, I was hunting around the stacks at Amoeba and tripped across a copy of Lard's "The Power of Lard" EP for like four bucks. So I bought it.

Lard was one of Al Jourgensen's many side projects, this one with Jello Biafra on lead vocal.

"The Power of Lard" is pretty much one of the best songs by anybody, ever. It's seven-and-a-half minutes of raw musical genius. Back when I had Lard on tape (!) I wore the fucking thing into a nub. Just on this one song. I'm glad to have it back, though I have a feeling my neighbors are gonna want to lynch me after a while. On the other hand, they gotta be happy to have a break from the non-stop Deicide and Slayer I've been blasting while writing DEMON.

I've been slamming hard on DEMON, almost done with the first draft. "The Power of Lard" has been the soundtrack of the ending gunfight for several nights now.

There are a couple of home-grown vids on YouTube for "The Power of Lard," if you don't mind hearing this amazing song for the first time outta your crappy monitor speakers.

"The Power of Lard" sounds best when you're flying at a hundred miles an hour in a Mustang through the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night.

Take my word on this. I speak from experience... Al and Jello were my co-pilots on a lotta runs between Chicago and SIU for a while.

The only thing that might be as brilliant as Lard is Pailhead, Jourgensen's side project with Ian MacKaye on vocals. Hard to find... but I dug that one up, too.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Brian "B-Boy" Thomas said...

great song.. it has contributed to my hearing loss and still does to this day. love the line "everytime i take a crap its a cosmic experience". really is lol.. since i quit smokin my poop shoot is backed up :P