Tuesday, January 19, 2010

On Habit Forming

It was really rainy and shitty outside when I woke up this morning, even moreso than yesterday. Despite the bleak exterior, I was still able to get work done, thanks to my RoboCoffee 109 and some '80s metal.

The weather got worse. Lightning! Hail!

Now... since getting back to LA, I've been hitting the gym almost every day. I've been doing this not only as holiday bounce-back (literally and figuratively) but, thanks to my father's health issues, I've become very aware of that whole scene. I'd rather spend time in a gym now than a hospital later.

My energy typically dips in the middle of the afternoon. In the past, I'd try to make up the difference with caffeine. These days, I go to the gym, and the shot of energy sends me working late into the night. Now that I'm self-employed, I work even longer hours than ever, even including the writing. But that gym time makes it possible in a painless way.

My point is, noon came and went. The weather got even worse. Not worse by the standards of the real world, mind you, but LA-worse. Still, though... the idea of getting on the bike in a lightning storm was a little daunting. I considered skipped the gym today.

The idea filled me with a severe depression.

Then I thought... what? Huh? After only three weeks, I'm already so deep into this habit that not going to the gym is sad-making?

Apparently. And, as if the world REALLY DID revolve around me, the rain petered out, and the sun came up. I went to the gym.

But my boots and jacket were on already, anyway. Shit, I'm from Chicago. A little rain ain't gonna stop me.

No comments: