Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hardhat Days

After my epic travails with the laptop, I had to clock some serious catch-up time. I'll pulled on the hardhat and leaned into it. My life turned into: wake up, flip on the Mac, work until one, go to the gym, eat lunch, work until nine or ten, pour some wine and write until I fell asleep.

Not too different from the days I worked for seven years at my former gig. But now I had the added satisfaction of knowing that every minute I put in was a minute spent furthering the goals I have for myself and my clients.

I'm not quite up to speed, but I'm close enough that I feel like I'll be able to round the corner by the end of the weekend, and figured I could spend a few minutes on an update.

My initial decision to start a company was abrupt; it occurred within the moment and, though I took a few minutes to make a couple of calls and bounce the feasibility of the idea around, I knew I was going to take this direction.

But I hadn't gathered a war chest, or lain a lot of track. So I've been handling really mundane aspects of the business while flipping around and doing the creative work. I don't mind, I'm used to wearing a lot of hats, and switching them throughout the day,

But, by a stroke of luck, it turned out my timing was perfect. Thanks to the holidays, I was not only able to get a stable of writers together, I also have the opportunity to develop the slate while the town is idling in neutral. I've been making submissions but, except for the novel, I haven't taken anything wide.

When 2010 rolls around, I'll be ready with a fully developed slate: follow-ups on the novel, another book, and five scripts. Seven projects. My plan is to launch these projects wide, one after the other. And they're all coming along well... they'll be ready.

I'll be doing a much different kind of work in January and February than I've been doing in November and December. I can't fucking wait.

No comments: