Monday, November 2, 2009

I Have Signed Seven Clients

I could sign more, but I have put a momentary pause on my search for new talent unless someone/thing strikes me as the most absolutely brilliant thing ever.

The reason are both practical and symbolic.

Practical: I'm still in the process of getting the infrastructure of this company together. From incorporation to office supplies, everything takes three times longer than I expect it to, and then I'm always learning about something new I've "forgotten."

I've worked for myself twice before: my record label, and when I was a PA/grip. Both times, I wasn't very serious about the foundation. I was perhaps immature in that sense and, to the surprise of no one, neither endeavor turned into anything successful.

This is a blessing and a curse. A curse in the sense that neither company made me wealthy. A blessing because, if they had, I wouldn't be in a situation in which I could do my current work.

Samurai MK is the basis of what I'm now finding to be my true life's work. For that reason, I'm taking this as seriously as fuck, taking my time and doing it right. Thus, it's time expended. The remaining time is better spent doing a good job for my birds in hand, rather than theoretical birds in the bush.

Symbolic: This company is called Samurai MK. I have signed my Seven Samurai.

Dawn, Gabi, Steve, Scott, Ramsey, Alex, Lesley: I owe you all a deep debt for your belief. I'll pay it off with my blood, sweat and tears. My sword used to belong to a company. Now it belongs to you, my Seven Samurai.

Hagakure tells us that anything can be done, if only you decide that it WILL be done.

I WILL see every one of these projects move forward, in some way. Time and work are meaningless when compared to results. Every waking moment - and many sleeping moments - are bent toward that purpose. Only death will stop me.

So... let's strap on our daisho and rock this joint.

No comments: