Friday, October 23, 2009

The Return of Willy

I worked all day. I'm out to the publishers with a novel, and I got some side work done. I hit the gym, came home and cleaned. I went through my clothes, setting aside a stack for Goodwill. I went to Trader Joe's and got some soup and chicken. I got home, put away the groceries, sat down to work on a script...

...and a big, brown mouse ran from behind my stove to behind my pantry. The same route traditionally taken by mice which have invaded the lair. This happened about two minutes ago.

Imagine my surprise. I thought he (they?) was (were?) dead. Even if he wasn't dead, with all the activity in the lair you'd think he'd keep his head down. But no. This is a brave mouse.

My struggles to de-mousify my lair are well-documented. I set out D-Con. It vanished. Eventually, I didn't see mice anymore. Ergo, Willy ate the poison (hence its disappearance) and died (hence Willy's disappearance). Which brings me to my core question: What the fuck?!

There are several possibilities which could account for the fact that I just saw a mouse:

a) Willy ate the poison I'd set out for him and died. It's a new mouse, whose name isn't Willy.

b) It's Willy. He ate the poison, and recovered.

c) It's Willy. He ate the poison and died, and I just saw his ghost.

If it's the last choice... shit. I should set up a camera and see what's going on while I'm asleep, a la PARANORMAL ACTIVITY. But instead of dragging me out of bed, it's gonna be a lot of mouse turds and vanished food.

Dammit, if that's the case, Micah has no complaints. He got off easy by comparison.