Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I Got a Bad Case of the Spindlies

I fucking hate spiders, and I've gotten a ton of them in the lair, lately. As in, I'm killing three or four a night. And they're getting bolder.

Luckily, they're all "spindlies." I don't know what else to call them; the species designation escapes me. They're as skinny as daddy long legs but, instead of a round body, they have super-thin little bodies kinda perched at the top of these thread-like legs. They are 0-level spiders.

Spindlies don't really bother me. When I see one, I just kinda kill it and go on with my life. But man, I'm getting a LOT. In the shower, in my closet, on the wall, in the windows. Last night, I came home and there was one sitting on my laptop.

That crosses the line.

Maybe they're seasonal spiders, and now is their time of the year. Or maybe some eggs hatched somewhere. I don't care, I just want them gone. Like I said, I'm not exactly living in terror, and they sure beat the hell out of a plague of black widows or Peruvian bird-eating spiders or something. But I would prefer to live without spindlies, thank you very much.

3 comments:

Jane Tara said...

Spindlies keep the black widows away. By killing them you're opening the door for REAL spiders...

Anonymous said...

Is that true? If so, how do you know? I would have thought in Oz you only had giant mutant Skull Island spiders.

Jane Tara said...

How do I know? We grow up with some serious critters down here. Some critters are good to keep around because they keep even nastier critters away. Daddy long legs keep the giant mutant Skull Island spiders at bay; black snakes keep the browns away… I have a gecko running around and it eats most poisonous bugs.

But I also like seeing you squeal like a girl over spiders. Why don’t you come to Oz for a visit? I’ll take you camping!