Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Frankenstein's Monster: The Script

Last night, I started working on the script adaptation of my novel FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER.

I've lately spent so much time in novel-writing mode that getting back into screenwriting was a bit of a gear shift. I never thought I'd come to a moment when writing a script felt kinda weird, but there ya go. I got over it pretty quickly... I have a lotta screenwriting muscle memory built up by now.

It's doubly odd because the novel is a very loose adaptation of a script I wrote back in film school, so the basic idea/story has gone from a script to a novel and now back to a script again. I can definitely say it's improved along the way... the original was a big pile of jumbled craziness. Back in film school, I thought I was audacious. Now I realize I was just being a goof. But there are a couple of scenes that are almost completely unchanged - the inciting of Adam showing up at the yard sale, for instance, and Thunderfoot and his ninja attack.

The script should take me about a week if I don't fuck around.

Meanwhile, I'm working up treatments for the next thing. For a while, I thought it was gonna be DEAD RIGHT THERE. But the reps are looking for an action-comedy, and there's not much room for laffs in DRT, which is a straight-up action-thriller in the RUN mold.

I've got a couple of ideas. Just a matter of fleshing 'em out...

No comments: