Friday, May 8, 2009

Solomon Kane

Being a Robert E. Howard fan, I'm gonna read any article entitled "Great Day for Robert E. Howard Fans," like this one on aintitcool.

This take on Solomon Kane sounds pretty fucking awesome. It's a bit odd that it takes place in Europe, as most of Solomon's stories are set in Africa... Though I should say my favorite Kane story has him fighting pirates on the English coast. And I suppose it makes sense as an origin story. If the first movie does well enough to launch a franchise, the perfect story to use as a basis would be the one where he fights Le Lupe... It starts in France, Le Lupe gets away and flees to Africa, and Solomon's so dead set on fixing the dude's wagon that he follows him out there, sparking a really cool cycle of African stories.

It's interesting that this should come along right now... I've been playing through Resident Evil 5, and the strongest aspect of that game is the African setting. I'd been thinking that the only other time I'd seen Africa used so well (or at all) in an action-horror context have been in Solomon Kane stories, and the old Call of Cthulhu campaign The Masks of Nyarlathotep (which is probably the coolest pre-packaged campaign I've ever run).

After spending the better part of the last decade wringing horror out of Asia, we should look to Africa for inspiration. These hand-wringing social message movies we've been seeing are all well and good... but where're the fucking zombies?!

No comments: