Tuesday, January 6, 2009

DRT and Resolutions

I handed in the second draft of DEAD RIGHT THERE yesterday. Still kinda rough - this won't be the final draft - but it's coming along.

Now I'm working on the treatment for THE AGENTS, which I'm hoping to wrap up in a couple of days, and after that I'll go back to FIGHT SCHOOL until I get notes from the reps on DRT. When I finish the polish draft of DRT and the first draft of FIGHT SCHOOL, then it'll probably be on to execute THE AGENTS.

All in all, I have a pretty clear idea of what I'll be writing for the next sixty days or so. This brings me joy... if I don't have an upcoming slate, I get to feeling a bit adrift.

At the day job, we're starting to get the New Years resolution calls. As in, all of the people in the world who woke up on Jan the first and said: "This is the year I'm gonna break into Hollywood, get a rep and sell a script." They run right out, buy guides to agents and managers and, since we're right there at the front, they call us to pitch their scripts.

The people and scripts are different, of course, but the calls are so similar it's weird. They're variations on the theme of:

"Hi. I'm calling from New Jersey. Is this, uh... do you handle scripts? Like, sell them and stuff?"

"Yes."

"Oh. Good. I wrote a script."

"Great, send a query."

"A what?"

To the best of my knowledge, we have never, ever signed anyone who just kinda cold-called. With only a few exceptions, almost all of our clients have come from contests and connections.

I'm sure it's the same thing with gyms and colleges, this big Q1 influx of resolutionaries. I wonder what other businesses are affected by New Years resolutions.

No comments: