Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hawk the Slayer

Thank you fucking God, Hawk the Slayer is finally out on DVD!

It's at the top of my Netflix. If luck is with me, I'll have Hawk in hand by the weekend.

When I was a kid, I was nuts for sword 'n' sorcery movies. Conan the Barbarian was at the top of the list (and still is), but I loved this B-movie knockoff called Hawk the Slayer. I had it on a tape that I watched so much it broke.

I literally haven't seen this movie for about twenty years, maybe longer. But, from what I recall, it's kind of a mash-up of a fantasy journey movie a la Krull and Holy Grail, and a fantasy take on The Seven Samurai. I remember Jack Palance (!) plays the main villain, a dude dressed in black leather with half his face burned off. And there's a climatic fight where the heroic seven make a stand in a church against Jacks' evil army. And there's a witch and some mist and stuff, kinda like in Excalibur. And the elf guy shoots his bow so fast it's like a machine gun with arrows.

Shit, I love these movies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm... Krull